So we finally did it. We bought...(drumroll please)....a minivan!! I know, I know. A minivan. I've been trying to talk Rob into one for years so I was expecting his reluctancy, but when it actually came down to it, I was the one who had a hard time finally committing. For some reason, a minivan is the final symbol of my lost youth and freedom. And it's depressing. You would think that three, almost four, kids, conquering the big 3-0, and a mortgage would be enough baggage of responsibility to bring me to reality, but it took a minivan to send me over the edge. We've had it for three days, and I'm still hiding my face from passerbys embarrassed to be driving it. Bye-bye young, carefree Jeannie. Welcome dark circles, stained shirt Mommy.
On a happier note, I must admit the minivan is pretty sweet. I can sit in the driver's seat and push a button to open the doors! The kids can get in unassisted! No more climbing out and hoisting children in. No more getting out and opening the back hatch in the middle of a rain storm for kids to climb over seats. My kids are not crammed together! This means no more poking, pinching, or even touching each other! There's a DVD player overhead and I can even talk on my phone hands free through my steering wheel!
So I guess the moral of the story is, if you're contemplating a minivan...just do it. Rip the bandaid off with one quick pull. If Rob and I can do it, anyone can.
3 comments:
Aren't van doors just heavenly?!! I do understand your hesitation... I still correct people when they call my car a van... it's a "vagon" people!
Jeannie you are so funny! I love it. I think a van sounds great because it is a PAIN in the butt to get my kids (especially Lauryn) in and out of the Expedition. I want to be a van mom. I'm excited to see your van...:)
Yeah your van is sweet! And you still look like a rockin' hot youthful twenty-something, so no worries. And I bet the new car smell is heavenly!
Post a Comment